Enter Title

The Support Forum has been replaced with our Help Desk system. Please send us your questions on the "Contact Us" page.

Also, check out our new FAQ.

Forum

ForumForumAll ForumsAll ForumsGenelinesGenelinesdata inputdata input
Previous Previous

Next
 Disabled
New Post
 4/6/2013 9:21 AM

Thank you for your interest in Genelines. We appreciate the time you took to share this with us and I will pass this on to the team to look into.
New Post
 4/6/2013 10:11 AM

I appreciate your response. I know that the type of capability I mentioned would be useful to others as well. Frequently I will draw out timelines manually on a large dry/erase white-board to try to work out something. However, when there are larger numbers of individuals involved, that can run out of space. I often input initial basic information into a spreadsheet to try to come up with relationships and missing events. A timeline generator would work much better. I do not see entering a little data more than once as a problem. In fact, that often helps get the data more accurate in the long run.
It works as a research tool for me.
New Post
 5/6/2013 7:23 PM

Thanks Tom for posting this! Glad to find I am not the only visual thinker out there.

I want to buy this program for the very same use....to compare "possibles" and try and figure out things. I needed something VISUAL not verbal!

Not sure which family tree software you use, but I got an idea from one of the RootsMagic webinars.

Create a new file! You can name the 'father' 'GENERAL CLUES FOR XXX SURNAME' or whatever. Then enter each person as a 'child'. In RM, since you are loading it as a separate file, it doesn't mix with your "good stuff".

And then just use that to pull in that 'family' to a timeline and see what happens...

That's my thought, I don't have the software yet. What I would like to know is this: I can see customized timelines can be created, but what about downloading timelines from history or school sources? Can someone tell me what format it has to be in (i.e. .pdf, .xls, .doc, etc.) ??

Thanks!
New Post
 5/6/2013 7:32 PM

New file is same as new database creation, not just uploading a gedcom to your 'current' files as a new family group sheet or something.... just want to be clear and not mess you up. Going by one of the webinars in RM...don't remember which one as I have been watching quite a few and facts are melding in my mind..
New Post
 5/7/2013 9:29 AM

Thank you for sharing that with us, Rob! I'm sure this will help others as well.

As for your question:
The history files are saved as .hst. This is a file specifically for Genelines. There are two options for adding history files:

1. Import them from the three categories offered by Genelines. There is a variety in each of the three history categories, General, Music and Technology. The great thing about Genelines is that anyone can add or remove any event they wish. It was designed to be adapted to the needs of the genealogist using it.

2. Manually enter the information and save your own within Genelines.
Previous Previous

Next
 Disabled
ForumForumAll ForumsAll ForumsGenelinesGenelinesdata inputdata input