Enter Title

The Support Forum has been replaced with our Help Desk system. Please send us your questions on the "Contact Us" page.

Also, check out our new FAQ.

Forum

ForumForumAll ForumsAll ForumsMap My Family T...Map My Family T...Custom Place NamesCustom Place Names
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 2/27/2012 9:14 PM

Pardon me if I'm overlooking something because I've just begun to use MMFT. But I've some questions about creating custom names to deal with apparent differences in the gazeteers used by Legacy and MMFT.

Why is there a 31-character limit on the length of custom place names? Many of the official names are longer than 31 characters. If I artificially shorten the name in MMFT, it won't be "linked" to the correct name in my Legacy database.

If I just use an "official" name to avoid this limitation, I see only the "official" name plotted on the map.

Ex: "Duoro, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada" plots as "Peterborough, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada"
New Post
 2/29/2012 12:01 AM

...and, if I create a custom location to match the place name & Lat/Long in my Legacy database, but without an "official place", it won't show up in the geographical list along with associated events. However, it does show on the map.
New Post
 3/1/2012 9:46 AM

I'm very sorry. I have been experiencing some hardware problems with my computer. Please forgive the delay.

There is a 31-character limit because we use a database with a fixed field width. If the field were larger, we would use up a lot of space for blanks.
Perhaps you can abbreviate to "Duoro, Peterborough, ON, CA"?

As for your second post, please provide specific details and I will do my best to reproduce what you're doing on my computer and see if we can come up with a solution for you.
Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumAll ForumsAll ForumsMap My Family T...Map My Family T...Custom Place NamesCustom Place Names